While nose and ear jewellery have become very much in vogue, mankind has long been wearing objects that pierce the skin, and if you have decided that 2021 is going to be the year you take on a few piercings and upgrade your accessories, here are a few tips.
- Studio Piercing – It is essential that you visit a registered piercing studio, where they use sterilised equipment that is safe and hygienic, especially with something like a septum ring, which is all the rage at the moment. Healing takes time and you should clean the piercing twice a day with alcohol or saline solution for at least 3 weeks to ensure the area is always clean.
- The Best Metals – Stainless steel offers the least chance of infection, while people also favour titanium, platinum and rose gold, which are obviously more expensive, and it really does depend on your personal touch. If you search online for an established piercing jewellery store, you can view high-quality body jewellery for very affordable prices. Titanium and platinum do not tarnish, which makes these two a favourite, as the sheen is easy to maintain.
- Saline Wash – Once you return home from the piercing studio, make up a saline sample and use cotton buds to gently clean the pierced area, and doing this morning and evening is recommended for 3-4 weeks, to ensure the piercing is bacteria free.
- Pain – You may have heard horror stories about the pain when having a piercing, but in fact, it is not very painful, and at worst, you could apply some numbing gel if the thought of the pain bothers you.
- Choosing a Piercing Location – Of course, there are lots of places on the body that you can have pierced; the ears, nose, tongue, navel and genitalia, but you are advised to do some research, and with any piercing, there is a risk of infection, which is why you should only have a piercing at a registered piercing studio.
There are quite a few piercing studios in most Australian towns and cities, and if you are unsure about their location, a Google search will help. As far as piercing jewellery goes, there are some great suppliers online, with stainless steel, titanium and gold items of varying styles, and when you find what you’re looking for, a secure online payment will see the items mailed to your home address.